Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Post Grad #477























SOLD
What would the first day after a CM workshop be without a painting of apples and a cropped plate?

Other than the obvious setup (no one else does it quite like her - clearly) - I am left thinking of this today; as I work on my stuff post class - what if, my brushstrokes were always the right value? I know! A revelation. Sometimes, I admit, I get so happy with the shape or density or direction of a stroke, I don't always fix a value that could have been better defined. I might slip back into bad habits, but for now, I have a little check list. Ooops, right now I see one thing I promised myself I would never do again - but that'll be my little secret.

Oh, and what about those highlights, huh? Not bad right?

This is the first one I did today and it was a little hard, I was thinking a lot, I'm going to go paint some more now, but thought I'd share this

18 comments:

  1. You definitely get an A+! Reds and whites are such a struggle for me, and you make them look effortless. And your hightlights are perfect! :)

    P.S. I'm needing a post-nightstand-calamity update on Brie. Now that you're home, I hope she is feeling much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome in it's simplicity...also struggling w/self imposed redNwhite stripes (from a picture~no idea of what a bag of worms it is to pull off)... great use ~ learned something. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A jewel of a painting - I don't see a thing that you promised yourself you would never do again -I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the use of all the reds around color harmony? Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All three of the Carol Marine workshop paintings are awesome! I agree that she is just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with all those reds. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a great job with all of those reds! Brave girl! Love the way you kept a lot of red in the shadows of the apples and pulled some of that red right in to the creamy plate. I also love the swirled background with all of those great hot oranges and pinks...so dynamic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see Carol's simplicity, but it's all yours, Lisa! I hope you had fun in her class - and we missed you in ours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya know … as far as I'm concerned "bad habits" are not always so "bad." :) Certainly not worthy of complete abandonment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So where is the 'trick to highlights' you promised to talk about? We're anxiously awaiting it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I immediately recognized Carol's influence on this painting. This looks great. Love the colors in the shadows. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous!! Love it. See the Carol influence but you made it yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great...I was afraid I would get home and not remember what I had learned! Obviously that didn't happen to you...the highlights are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI everyone! My highlight secret is revealed in today's post - I'm having such a good time for myself since getting back and am enjoying reading what everyone thinks -thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic -- love the composition. We missed you on Tuesday! Be sure to Photoshop yourself into the group picture...

    ReplyDelete